Yummy Pumpkin Granola
Updated On: Oct 24 2013 04:46:41 PM CDT
It's October and to me that means Halloween, falling leaves, pumpkin spiced lattes, and the smell of crisp fall weather. I thought it was time for another yummy recipe so I chose pumpkin granola and, let me tell you, it turned out DELICIOUSLY! The recipe is very easy to make and contains the following ingredients:
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dried cranberries, to taste
- almonds, to taste
As you can see, this recipe contains A LOT of sugar. But there is nutritional value in some of the ingredients.
- Oats - high in fiber, which helps keep your digestive system regular; iron, which aids in oxygen being transported around your body; and magnesium, key for nerve conduction and cell membrane health as well as muscle repair.
- Almonds - high in fiber, protein, and vitamin E.
Cranberries can be yummy but dried cranberries contain too much sugar for the nutrients to counter-balance. A healthier addition would be raisins, which also aid in digestion and help to lower blood pressure and are high in iron and copper.
So how do you make this? It's EASY and can be done in about 45 minutes. A major perk, it makes your home smell wonderful so it'd be great to make before you host a get-together. Check out the steps below then enjoy your delicious granola on its own or with yogurt and fruit or just milk.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl, combine oats with spices and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix until smoothe.
- Pour the wet ingredient mixture over the oats and mix to coat the oats evenly.
- Spread the mixture over the baking sheet evenly then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the granola and stir, then place in the oven again for 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries, raisins, nuts, or even pumpkin seeds. Let completly cool then store in an airtight container until ready to eat.