You Can Quit Today!
Each year, on the third Thursday in November, the American Cancer Society sponsors the "Great American Smokeout." It's a day designed to encourage current smokers to quit and begin living a healthier life.
Quitting smoking will save your life. Quitting can, in the long term, reduce the risk for lung and other cancers and cardiovascular disease; in fact, 10 years after quitting, your risk of dying from lung cancer is almost half the risk of a person who currently smokes. But there are benefits that begin in the short term, almost immediately upon smoking cessation.
- Heart rate & blood pressure drop after 20 minutes
- Carbon monoxide levels in your blood drop to normal after 12 hours
- Your circulation & lung function improves after 3 months
- Coughing & shortness of breath decrease after 1-9 months
- Risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, & bladder are cut in half after 5 years
So you've seen the benefits. Now make a plan to quit! Need help?
- Visit KSQuit.org for resources & a Quit Coach
- Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-866-784-8669)