Thunder take down Cutthroats 4-3 in OT

Published On: Jan 28 2014 11:02:06 PM CST   Updated On: Jan 28 2014 11:02:48 PM CST
Wichita Thunder
Wichita, Kan. (Wichita Thunder) -

The Wichita Thunder came back from a two goal deficit in the second period to defeat the Denver Cutthroats in overtime 4-3 on a goal by Andrew Martens.

The full release from the Wichita Thunder is below:

Andrew Martens recorded the game-winning goal in overtime that helped Wichita (17-19-4) rally past the Denver Cutthroats (19-12-9), winning by the final score of 4-3 on Tuesday night at INTRUST Bank Arena. Ian Lowe scored with just over a minute remaining to even up the contest and tallied his ninth of the year. Tomas Klempa and Mike Wilson also registered goals for the Thunder on the evening. Wichita finishes the season-series 1-2-1 against Denver with each team winning an overtime game on its home-ice. 

Robin Soudek got the Cutthroats on the board at 9:35 of the first period after a clearing attempt was kept in at the Thunder line. Sitting at the left post, he banged home a rebound for his 10th of the season. Denver led early in the shot department, 13-7 through the fist 20 minutes and 23-11 later on in the contest. 

At the start of the second, Denver started the period with a power play and capitalized. Garett Bembridge fired a shot from the right boards that Troy Schwab got a piece of finding its way past David Brown to give Denver a 2-0 advantage just 27 seconds in. Wichita answered quickly as Klempa came up the left wing, got past a defender at the left circle and put a backhand off the far post past Travis Bosch to get the Thunder on the board at 1:55. Mike Wilson tied it at 18:41 with his seventh of the season as he let a wrist shot go from the left wall that got over Bosch's shoulder and the game headed into the third all square at two.

From that point on, Wichita tilted the ice and had all kinds of chances that carried over into the final 20 minutes. Bosch kept his team in it and the Cutthroats re-gained the lead at 6:57. Schwab stole the puck at the red line and found Bembridge who put home his 33rd tally of the year. Trailing 3-2 with less than 1:30 remaining, Wichita was able to get a time-out and an offensive-zone face-off. Brown was pulled for the extra attacker and this time the Thunder found the back of the net. In two previous contests, Wichita had pulled its goaltender only to come up short. Andrew Martens made sure that wouldn't happen tonight as he got to a loose puck at the right wall, came to the right circle and put a shot on Bosch. The Denver goaltender couldn't hold onto the rebound and Lowe put home the rebound at 18:55 to tie the game at three. For the fourth time in the last eight contests, Wichita needed extra time to decide the outcome. 

At the start of overtime, Steve Kaunisto was called for cross checking and Wichita benefited from a one-minute power play. Martens caught a pass in the deep slot and ripped a shot through a screen that Bosch never saw and the Thunder pulled out a 4-3 overtime victory. 

Wichita has won its last two games that have been decided in overtime and are now 2-3. The Thunder has won the last five games that have gone past regulation. Tonight's overtime win was the first victory at home after 60 minutes for Wichita of the season. With Arizona idle, the Thunder moves back into eighth place with 38 points. Klempa and Martens finished with a goal and an assist while Jon Booras had three helpers. Martens remains in first place in the defensive scoring race with 34 points (7g, 27a) while Jesse Dudas added an assist and is two back with 32 points (11g, 21a) in second place. Brown claims his eighth win in Thunder blue, stopping 30 of 33 shots and has won five of his last six starts. Bosch took the overtime loss, stopping 28 of 32 shots.    

Wichita went 1-for-3 on the power play. Denver was 1-for-3 with the man advantage. 

Wichita gets a couple of days off before a home-and-home series against the Allen Americans starting on Friday night at INTRUST Bank Arena at 7:05 p.m. The Thunder then travel to Allen the next night to take on the Americans at the Allen Event Center.