FHSU uses second half comeback to defeat Lincoln 45-35 and win fourth straight

Published On: Dec 24 2013 12:54:39 PM CST   Updated On: Oct 30 2013 11:57:29 AM CDT
JEFFERSON CITY, MIssouri (FHSU Sports Information) -

 Fort Hays State trailed by one at halftime and by eight in the third quarter before overtaking Lincoln in the fourth quarter for a 45-35 win in Jefferson City, Mo. on Saturday (Oct. 26). The Tigers moved to 4-4 overall and 3-4 in the MIAA with the win, while Lincoln dropped to 1-7 overall and 0-7 in the MIAA.

Fort Hays State jumped out to a 14-0 lead through one quarter. The Tigers capitalized on a fumble on Lincoln's first possession of the game, getting the ball at the Lincoln 40-yardline. That set up a 32-yard touchdown pass from Treveon Albert to Isaiah Maxi. Two drives later, the Tigers used a 33-yard rush by Ed Williams and a 33-yard pass to Andre Smith to set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Edward Smith.

After sputtering a bit early, the Lincoln offense came alive in the second quarter. The Blue Tigers cut the lead to 14-6 early in the second quarter, but missed the extra point. Drew O'Brien extended the FHSU lead to 17-6 with a 37-yard field goal before Lincoln struck quickly again for another touchdown to make it 17-12, but once again, the extra-point attempt failed.

Fort Hays State pushed the lead back to 12 points on a 36-yard touchdown pass from Albert to Keaton Callins with 3:41 remaining before halftime, but Lincoln's offense would continue to chunk off big plays. Lincoln had three straight runs over 10 yards on the ensuing drive, capped by a 37-yard touchdown run to make it 24-18, but the 2-point conversion attempt failed. A quick 3-and-out by FHSU gave the ball back to the red-hot Lincoln offense, and the Blue Tigers punched another touchdown in with 33 seconds remaining in the opening half. The extra-point attempt was finally good after the Blue Tigers failed on their first three and they took a 25-24 lead to halftime over the Tigers, scoring all 25 points in the second quarter. Lincoln produced 211 of its 455 yards of total offense in the game in the second quarter.

Lincoln took advantage of a FHSU fumble early in the third quarter, putting together another quick scoring drive with a touchdown to go up 32-24. Despite Lincoln scoring 20 unanswered points since the second quarter, the Tigers held their composure and clawed back.

Daniel Lindsey triggered the comeback effort by intercepting a pass at the Lincoln 30-yardline. That set up a 16-yard touchdown pass from Albert to Bilal Salat, making it 32-31 in favor of Lincoln. Another fumble by the Tigers set up a late third-quarter field goal by the Blue Tigers to make it 35-31 going into the fourth quarter.

The Tigers finally passed Lincoln by putting together a 10-play, 70-yard drive early in the fourth quarter, capped by an Edward Smith 1-yard touchdown run to give FHSU the lead back at 38-35.

The reigning MIAA Defensive Athlete of the Week, Michael Terry, would come up big for FHSU later in the quarter, forcing a fumble at the Lincoln 48-yardline. That set up the game-sealing drive by the Tigers. On 4th-and-2 with under two minutes to play, Andre Smith scampered 24 yards to the endzone to push FHSU's lead to 45-35. Terry then put the game away for good with an interception on the next Lincoln drive. Terry finished the game with a team-best nine tackles to go with his forced fumble and interception.

Treveon Albert had a solid day passing, completing 22-of-34 attempts for 294 yards and three touchdowns. Tanner Hageman had a team-best six catches, while Keaton Callins had a team-best 81 receiving yards. Andre Smith finished with a team-high 98 rushing yards on 21 carries.

Lincoln had a two-headed monster rushing the ball in quarterback Jacob Morris and running back Morris Henderson. Morris finished with 141 yards and two touchdowns, while Henderson finished with 131 yards and one touchdown. Morris also threw for 177 yards and two touchdowns. Kendrick Causey led the Lincoln defense with 14 tackles.

Fort Hays State steps out of conference play for the second time this year next week as it hosts South Dakota Mines in Hays. Kickoff is set for 2 pm on Saturday, Nov. 2.