FHSU men beat Upper Iowa in Overtime

Published On: Nov 10 2013 06:07:45 PM CST
MARSHALL, Minnesota (FHSU Sports Information) -

In a back-and-forth game that saw 14 lead changes and 12 ties, Fort Hays State managed to hold off Upper Iowa 97-90 in overtime on Sunday (Nov. 10) in Marshall, Minn. Fort Hays State moved to 2-0 on the season, picking up two key in-region wins away from home, while Upper Iowa dropped to 0-2.

Upper Iowa tied the game with 39 seconds to go in regulation on a 3-point field goal and nearly hit a game-winning shot after a FHSU miss on the other end, but a 6-0 run by the Tigers to start overtime proved to be too much for the Peacocks to recover from.

Neither team could find separation in the first half. Fort Hays State's largest lead in the opening frame was six points at 13-7 and Upper Iowa's largest lead before halftime was five at 21-16. FHSU eventually held a 40-39 lead at halftime.

FHSU opened the second half on a 9-0 run to take a 10-point lead and led by that margin two more times before Upper Iowa stormed back to take a 63-62 lead with 10:17 to go. A James Fleming 3-point play put the Tigers back in front all the way until the 3-point shot that tied the game under a minute left in regulation. In that span, Upper Iowa pulled within one point four times but could never get a lead.

FHSU held Upper Iowa scoreless in overtime until a 3-point field goal with 1:38 to go pulled UIU back within three. But, Carson Konrade responded with a 3-point field goal on the next trip down the floor for FHSU, pushing the lead back to six with 1:18 to go. FHSU would hit free-throws the rest of the way to keep UIU at arm's length.

Fort Hays State was solid at the free-throw line all afternoon where it shot 90 percent (27-of-30). The Tigers missed only one attempt at the line in each half and the overtime period.

After just two points in the season opener on Saturday, Dwayne Brunson returned to his scoring form on Sunday with a team-high 25 points and 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. Craig Nicholson hit the 20-point mark for the second straight game, nearly recording another double-double with 20 points and nine assists. He went for 29 and 11 in Saturday's contest.

Tomislav Gabric recorded his first double-double as a Tiger, going for 16 points and 10 rebounds. Jake Stoppel was just one rebound short of a double-double, recording 11 points and nine rebounds. James Fleming also reached double figures in scoring with 13 points.

Josh Weeber led Upper Iowa with 26 points. Jimmy Roth had 17, Bo Pagel had 16, and Joey Woods added 14.

FHSU shot 45.6 percent from the field overall and 36.4 percent beyond the 3-point line. Upper Iowa shot at a 40.9 percent clip for the game and 40 percent beyond the 3-point line. The Peacocks hit 12-of-30 3-point attempts in the game. They were also solid from the charity stripe at 80 percent overall.

Fort Hays State has one more game on the road before its home opener. The Tigers play at Northwestern Oklahoma State on Saturday, Nov. 16 at 8 pm, looking to avenge a two-point loss at home last year. First action at home for FHSU will be Tuesday, Nov. 19 against Newman University.