FHSU gets the sweep at SBU

Published On: Jan 07 2014 11:00:00 PM CST   Updated On: Jan 08 2014 08:45:31 PM CST
BOLIVAR, Missouri -

Fort Hays State vaulted itself back into the thick of the MIAA standings by completing the sweep of the two-game road swing in Missouri with a 91-72 win at Southwest Baptist on Monday night (Jan. 6) in Bolivar. The Tigers moved to 10-3 overall and 2-3 in the MIAA with the win. SBU dropped to 8-5 overall and 1-3 in the MIAA.

Fort Hays State trailed SBU for about the first nine minutes of the game until tying the score at 18-18 with 11:19 to go in the first half. An 8-0 pushed the Bearcats back in front 28-20, but FHSU quickly answered with a 10-0 run to take its first lead at 30-28 with 7:07 remaining before the half. SBU took the lead back momentarily, but FHSU finished the first half on an 18-8 run to lead 50-44 at the break.

SBU would never threaten FHSU in the second half as the six-point margin was all the closer SBU would get. A 6-0 run gave FHSU its first double-digit lead of the game and later a 9-0 run extended the FHSU lead to 18 points at 73-55 with 11:06 to go. FHSU enjoyed its largest lead of 26 points with 3:01 to go before SBU closed out the game with the last seven points.

Andrew Victoria had a career night for the Tigers. He came off the bench for a double-double of 18 points and 11 rebounds, both career highs for him, following a key 8-point, 10-rebound effort in the win over Missouri Southern on Saturday. He averaged 13 points and 10.5 rebounds in the two conference wins for FHSU.

Carson Konrade scored 17 points, hitting four 3-point field goals. Craig Nicholson scored 13 and dished out a team-high seven assists. Dwayne Brunson scored 12 and Jake Stoppel added 10.

Fort Hays State finished 49.3 percent from the field and turned in another good performance at the free-throw line of 85.7 percent (18-of-21). Southwest Baptist entered the game averaging 90 points per contest and were held under 75 on their home floor for just the second time this year (defending national champion Drury held SBU to 70 on Nov. 12).

Rashad Brown-Peterson led SBU with 13 points, followed by Preston Guiot and Desi Barmore each with 11.


 Fort Hays State University used double-digit scoring efforts from four Tigers en route to a 93-66 victory over Southwest Baptist on Monday evening.
Chelsea Mason led the way for FHSU (9-2, 3-2 MIAA), dropping 20 points for her third 20-plus scoring effort of the season.  Kate Lehman had 18 points and 11 rebounds for her eighth straight double-double.  The junior center added three blocks and three assists to go along with the winning effort.
Nikola Kacperska set a new career high for points, as the freshman guard had 13 points on 5-of-9 field goal shooting.  Taylor Chandler rounded out the double-digit scoring for FHSU, as the sophomore had 11 points, along with a team-high three steals.
Senior Kate Edwards had seven rebounds on the day, while Tera Ingalsbe tallied nine points.
FHSU rattled off two separate runs of six unanswered in the first 5:01, giving FHSU a 15-4 lead.  With 13:53 to go in the half, Lehman hit a layup to spark a 10-0 run over the next 3:53.  During that span, Lehman had five points for the Tigers.  
Fort Hays State started hot from the field, shooting 63.7 from the field in the opening 10 minutes to jump ahead, 27-13. From there, SBU crawled back by breaking off a 9-0 run near the five minute mark.  After a jumper from Jill Faxon broke up the run, the teams traded baskets until 2:26, when the Bearcats closed the half on a 6-0 run.
That Bearcat run continued out of the break, as SBU pulled within one (39-40) at the 19:28 mark.  Two possessions later, SBU completed the comeback by taking a 43-42 lead on Brook Duncan's jumper at 17:19.  FHSU, however, regained the lead immediately after with a 14-0 tear, as Mason and Paige Lunsford each two 3-pointers during the run, which lasted 2:23.
SBU pulled back within seven (58-51) at the 13:07 mark, but that was as close as the Bearcats could get.  FHSU pulled ahead by 16 (70-54) with another burst of points, this time a 14-3 spurt (and seven unanswered), with 8:28 left on the clock.
Up 77-61 with 6:46 to go, Mason hit her third 3-pointer of the evening to start a run of 11 unanswered for FHSU, putting the game out of reach, 88-61 with 3:05 remaining.
SBU drops to 6-5 overall and 1-3 in the MIAA.