Published On: Dec 24 2013 12:54:47 PM CSTUpdated On: Oct 30 2013 11:40:28 AM CDT
Wichita's Main Street in 1870, Looking North from Douglas Avenue (Circa 1870)
View of the first mill in Wichita. Located at Hydraulic and First Streets (Circa 1874).
Residence of J. C. Fraker at 306 East Central Avenue (Circa 1875).
Birds'-eye view looking northeast from Odd Fellows Hall in the first block of North Main (Circa 1875).
Looking northwest at first block of north Main Street (1875).
View looking northwest at early house in Wichita. Identified as residence of H. W. Dunning at 535 North Lawrence (now Broadway). (Circa 1875).
Farmers bringing wheat to be milled at the Wichita Elevator, located at the corner of First and Fifth (now know as Santa Fe) Streets (Circa 1875).
Robert Lawrence and family gathered in front of their residence at 415 South Seneca Street. Early home in the Delano neighborhood built in about 1871 (Circa 1878).
Douglas Avenue, looking west at north side of street. Land Office in foreground is Healy and Niederlander, Real Estate Company, at the corner of Emporia and Douglas (Circa 1878).
Residence at 509 South Lawrence (Broadway) owned by C. R. Miller. It was built in the late 1870s and demolished in 1923 to make way for a filling station (Circa 1878).
Looking west at Victorian residence with Gothic Revival styling; located at 209 South Emporia. Dr. Henry Owens is seated in the horse-drawn carriage; his family members are posed at the house (Circa 1878).
View looking northeast at Occidental Hotel, 304 North Main Street (Circa 1885)
Interior view, lobby of Occidental Hotel, 304 North Main Street (Circa 1885).
N. A. English & Company Real Estate office, located at 111 North Main Street (Circa 1886)
Exterior view of a restaurant owned by Mrs. M. J. Blackburn; location 223 East Douglas (Circa 1887).
Residence at 1055 North Lawrence (now Broadway) owned by W. G. Hacker at the time of the photo (Circa 1887).
Looking south at two businesses, southwest corner of Douglas and Sycamore (Circa 1887).
Home built in 1888 by J. O. Davidson. The address for the residence at that time was simply Riverside, now known as the Kirby Castle (1201 West River Boulevard). (Circa 1888).
Wichita Watch Factory: Built by 415 West 2nd Street and never completed due to the end of the economic boom of the 1880s. The business failed and building was later abandoned (Circa 1888).
Second home of Robert Lawrence at 415 South Seneca Street. Purchased in 1896 for use as the Kansas Masonic Home for aging members and orphans. Building destroyed in 1916, later rebuilt on top same location (Circa 1890).
Carleton School was one of the first structures to house the elementary school; it was later replaced by another building on the same site, located on the northeast corner, intersection of Lewis and Lawrence Avenues (Circa 1894).
One of the first institutions of higher learning built in Wichita, located at 3700 East Lincoln (Circa 1892).
Harrison Steam Tractor marketed in Wichita by VanZandt Implement Company (Circa 1895).
Interior of George McNeal barbershop located at 106 North Main Street, Schweiter Building (Circa 1895).
View of interior of unidentified photography studio. Framed portraits and cabinet cards on display are typical of the period (Circa 1898).