Advertisement

Southwest side family burned out of home

By John Wright, Assignment Editor, jwright@kwch.com
Published On: Apr 04 2014 04:04:56 PM CDT
Picture 1.jpg
WICHITA, Kan. -

A Wichita family arrived to find damage after their house caught fire.

It happened just after 10 o'clock Friday morning at 935 West Meikle. That's near 47th

Street South and Seneca. Acting Fire Chief Mike Russell said crews were originally 

responding to a trash fire, when they spotted smoke and found flames coming

through the roof of a house. He said no one was home when the fire started.

The Red Cross was called  to help one adult and one child. Family can't live there

due to damage estimate of $50,000. Russell said his crews stopped to fight the fire,

while another crew was sent to the 4600 block of South Vine to the trash fire.

Investigators said the fire was accidental. There was also a fire in the same house

two months ago. The trash fire was not related. 

Advertisement