Advertisement

A Reno County family burned out of home; dog perished in fire

Published On: Jan 15 2014 07:56:43 PM CST
Updated On: Jan 15 2014 11:00:13 PM CST
HUTCHINSON, Kan. -

The Red Cross was called to assist a Hutchinson family after their house was destroyed by fire.

It happened at 6:26 Wednesday night in the 500 block of North Kent Road, where flames were spotted shooting through the roof.

Investigators said a man was changing a fuel pump and using a propane heater in the garage when the fire started.

The man was able to get everyone out of the house except for a dog. The dog was found dead later.

The home will be a total loss. Crews had to truck in water to the scene, because there were no fire hydrants in the area.

Firefighters laid a hose line down the driveway and had to pump water off of Kent Road to a fire truck at the house.

Reno County Sheriff's Deputies shut down Kent Road for about three hours.

The fire department will be on scene for several more hours to control hot spots.

Advertisement