Funeral services set for toddler accidentally shot & killed

Published On: Apr 29 2014 02:34:55 PM CDT   Updated On: May 06 2014 10:38:12 AM CDT
Ty’Marion Savoy Blacknell

Robert J. Bethea, Jr. Funeral Home


Funeral services have been set for 19-month-old Ty'Marion Blacknell. The toddler was accidentally shot and killed by a sibling on April 29.

A viewing for the child will on Thursday at Bethea Funeral Services, from 1-7 p.m. Ty'Marion's funeral is set for Friday, May 9 at 1 p.m. at New Jerusalem Baptist Church in Wichita.

A memorial fund has been set up in Ty'Marion's memory at Medical Community Credit Union.


Residents of the neighborhood where a one-year-old boy was fatally shot earlier this week are planning a candlelight memorial vigil.

The vigil for Ty'Marion Blacknell is scheduled for Sunday night starting at 8:30 p.m. and will be held in their neighborhood.

The family has also set up a memorial fund. The fund has been set up at Medical Community Credit Union.


A 19-month-old boy who was killed when he was accidentally shot by his four-year-old brother has been identified. 

Ty’Marion Savoy Blacknell died shortly after suffering a gunshot wound to his chest.

Funeral arrangements for the boy are set for next week.

Police plan to present the case to the District Attorney, who will determine if charges will be filed in the case.


A neighborhood mourns the shooting death of a one-year-old. Police say his four-year-old brother accidentally shot him.

"My heart is broken because a one-year-old, a baby? He didn't even get a chance," said Shirley Jackson, who lives down the street from the family.

Family members Eyewitness News spoke with Wednesday say the loss has been devastating for them and they're just trying to make it through, one moment at a time.

"That just crushed me, you know, it took my heart," said Sherry Ray, a neighbor.

Residents in this Wichita neighborhood are still trying to understand what happened.

"Cause that was a tragedy," said Jackson, holding her one-year-old grandson. "My heart is broken."

"I was just taken away," said Ray about her reaction to the news. "I don't have the words to really say, describe how I felt and what all I felt."

A one-year-old boy who lived down the street from them is suddenly gone, shot to death by his four year old brother. Police say the two boys were playing with their sister in the bedroom.

"It appears that the four-year-old child opened a night stand drawer," said Lt. Todd Ojile, Wichita Police, during a briefing Wednesday. "In that nightstand drawer was a loaded handgun."

Police say the shooting was an accident.

"We believe that the gun was not lifted out of the drawer. The gun was still in the drawer when it was fired," said Ojile.

Neighbors say they can only imagine what the parents are going through.

"You know, wishing that it wasn't even in the house, wishing that he was right there when it.. before it even happened," said Jackson.

Police say the four-year-old knew the gun was there. He'd seen it before. Ojile said, "Why it was still there, I do not know."

Now prosecutors will decide whether to file criminal charges against the adults in the home.

"We still have some investigating still to do before we take the case over to the District Attorney's offices," he said. He expects that to happen within the next week. The D.A. will decide what,if any, charges are filed in this case.

The boy's death has raised concerns in the neighborhood about gun safety.

"We don't want to see it happen anymore to anyone else," said Ray. "You know, 'cause I feel like it can be avoided. It's something that we as adults should take responsibility for."

Police say there's no law about where you should store your gun but that it is a gun owner's responsibility to make sure it's safe.


Police tell us the shooting was accidental.  It happened around 2:00 pm at the boy's home in the 1300 block of North Pennsylvania Avenue.

Neighbors call the one-year-old boy's death heartrending and say they're praying for his family.

"It does hit close to home and it just makes you think a lot about things," said Deven Wood. He and his family live across the street from the little boy who was shot.

"They haven't been here, probably, maybe 4 months, I think?" Wood said. "but, I mean, they're always outside, a ton of kids and people out there. So they seem very family oriented."

Wood wasn't home when the shooting happened but heard about it on the news.

"We received information that the child had a gunshot wound to the chest," said Capt. Troy Livingston, Wichita Police.

Investigators say a woman rushed the baby boy to Wesley Medical Center where he went straight into surgery.

Officers are investigating the shooting but say it will take time to get all the details. They're still trying to figure out who was in the house when the shooting happened.

"We believe there were three children in the house, a one-year-old, a four-year-old and a three-year-old," said Livingston. "It just takes a little time to piece this together. You've got to keep in mind we have children involve. So it takes awhile to talk to them, as well. And you have to do that very specifically."

Meanwhile, the boy's family rushed to the hospital only to leave in tears a couple hours later.

Officers confirm the boy died. They say the shooting was an accident.

"I mean accidents do happen, but still I don't understand how a one-year-old got shot," said Wood. "My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, for sure."

Investigators expect to have more information on what happened Wednesday at the police department's daily briefing.