Student to face charges after middle school fire

Published On: Mar 13 2014 11:37:02 AM CDT   Updated On: Mar 14 2014 10:19:56 AM CDT
Students evacuated from Mead Middle School

Jade DeGood/Eyewitness News


Update: Wichita Fire Investigations Captain Stuart Bevis says a fire at Mead Middle School on Thursday was set by a student.

Bevis says a paper towel dispenser was set on fire, and a student now faces charges.

The fire caused extensive damage to the boys restroom and prompted an evacuation of the entire building.


Wichita's Mead Middle School was evacuated Thursday morning after reports of a fire.

Several fire trucks were called to the school.  Firefighters found smoke, but no fire, in a bathroom.

Fire officials on the scene say students were at a pep assembly and were just being dismissed back to class when someone noticed a small fire in the boys bathroom. 

We're told there's around $1,000 in smoke damage to the school.