The experts urge you to get the flu vaccine. but you may not know there are several different types of vaccine available.
- The regular seasonal vaccine, which is most common.
- The quadrivalent vaccine protects against an extra strain of flu.
- A cell-based vaccine called Flucelvax is available for those with egg allergies
- A high dose vaccine is available for adults older than 65.
- A flu mist spray for those with an aversion to needles
"There's really not a blanket recommendation of one vaccine over another," says pharmacist Anne Geidel. "Just being vaccinated is the most important."
Be aware though not all insurance plans cover all the vaccines available. It's a good idea to call your provider ahead of time. Find out which type of vaccine is covered by your plan.
Some insurance providers may also require certain vaccines only be given by at a doctor's office.