Advertisement

Fire started by improper firework disposal

Published On: Aug 06 2014 08:55:42 AM CDT
Updated On: Jul 05 2014 04:03:26 PM CDT
HUTCHINSON, Kan. -

A house fire in Hutchinson causes about $90,000 in damages after people failed to properly dispose of fireworks according to the Hutchinson  Fire Department.

It happened a little after 2 a.m. on Random Road Saturday morning.

All 5 people inside the home at the time of the fire were able to escape with no injury. One firefighter was taken to the hospital emergency room for treatment of an environment issue according to Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen. He has since been treated and released.

Investigators confirmed improper disposal of fireworks was the cause of the fire, but didn't further elaborate. Damage to the structure is estimated at $60,000 and $30,000 to the contents.

Heat and smoke damage is present throughout the entire residence, but the garage suffered heavy damage. Six units were called to the fire that took 20 minutes to control. Units remained on scene for 2 hours to monitor for hot spots.

Advertisement