Advertisement

Two pets die in stove fire, 1 saved

By Anne Meyer, ameyer@kwch.com
Published On: Dec 15 2013 09:48:00 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 16 2013 03:24:10 PM CST
WICHITA, Kan. -

Wichita fire fighters helped save a dog's life Sunday, by using an oxygen mask specifically designed for pets.

The owner wasn't home when the fire started. She rescues dogs and was out helping an injured animal when a passer-by noticed smoke coming from her windows and called 911.

By the time firefighters got to the home on North Hampton, flames had already gutted most of the inside. They couldn't save the house, but they did save a pup.

"We could see that the dog was breathing in and out," said Fire Fighter Jonathan Jarvis. "But when it open its eyes, it's kinda invigorating you know. It makes you feel like you did your job and that's really what we are just doing is our job."

The job of saving pets is made easier with special masks, designed to fit a pets mouth better than the ones made for humans.

"It doesn't really fit over the snout of a dog like these new masks that we have do," Jarvis said.

Wichita fire fighters got the masks four years ago, thanks to a donation from Invisible Fence.

The injured dog is recovering at an emergency vet hospital, but is expected to be okay. Two dogs died in the fire, 3 others are staying with the victim's family.

Capt. Stuart Bevis, Wichita Fire, said the fire started after a stove was left on, and caught some nearby materials on fire. It caused about $110,000 in damage.

Donations are being accepted at the Mosley Street Melodrama in Old Town to help the owner care for her dogs and rebuild from the fire.

Advertisement