Advertisement

Court records: shooting victim twice sought protection orders

By Brian Heap, bheap@kwch.com
Published On: Mar 25 2014 01:56:58 PM CDT
Updated On: Mar 25 2014 09:07:33 PM CDT
(WICHITA, Kan.) -

A Wichita woman who was shot late Monday, along with two of her children, had twice sought legal protection from her alleged attacker.

Sedgwick County court records reveal Pettix McMillan's had threatened to kill her and harm "everybody in the house" as recently as two months ago.

Mrs. McMillan filed petitions for Protection from Abuse in 2011 and 2014.  However, in neither case did she complete the process to receive a final PFA from the court.

In March 2011, Mrs. McMillan filed a petition, saying her husband had threatened her and made her fall. Ten days later, the case was dismissed at her request, documents reveal.

In January 2014, Mrs. McMillan again filed a PFA petition.  This time she said her husband was living in Southern California, but had been leaving threatening messages that he would kill her.  "He said everybody in the house is going to get it because of me," she wrote.

Despite this threat, records show Mrs. McMillan twice failed to show up for court to tell her story to a judge.  As a result, the case was dismissed and a temporary protection order was allowed to expire in February.

Mrs. Millan and her children are recovering at the hospital.  Wichita police say they are expected to survive.  Pettix McMillan is under arrest, pending formal charges.

Advertisement