Police investigate murder-suicide in Augusta

Published On: Feb 07 2014 03:02:57 AM CST   Updated On: Feb 07 2014 09:16:31 PM CST

Police in Augusta are investigating what they're calling a murder suicide. It happened last night in the 1200 block of Helen   It's the first homicide inside the city limits in three years.

Wherever you go in town what happened in the brick house across the street from Robinson Elementary School is what people are talking about. Many drove up and down the street trying to learn more.

"I have no idea what happened," said Dustin Otis, who lives two houses down from Gary and Erin Weaver. "I just heard something happened. There's caution tape, news vans, police everywhere."

The morning after two people died in this Augusta home neighbors are still trying to understand what happened.

"I didn't believe it," said Otis.

"We're not used to that kind of thing around here, you know, in this small town," said Neva Hansen, who came by with her husband Friday morning.

Police say Gary and Erin Weaver died in a murder suicide Thursday night. Erin Weaver's 12-year-old son locked himself in his bedroom and called 911.

They say the boy described hearing several gunshots and his mother screaming. The dispatcher got him to crawl out a window to safety.

"I can't express how well the dispatcher did and we're very proud of him," said Augusta Police Chief Tyler Brewer. "If that young man would've been in the residence we would've been in a standoff situation, fearing for his life."

Instead, once the boy was safe, police were able to concentrate on contacting the Weavers.

"We had attempted to call the residents, we used a bullhorn to contact the residents inside," said Brewer. "But we were unable to do so."

That's when officers forced their way into the home and found the couple dead.

"This is a very tragic event that occurred here in Augusta," said Butler County Sheriff Kelly Herzet. His deputies helped respond to the call. "Two people lost their lives and a 12-year-old boy is going to have to live with that. It's very tragic."

The Weavers had lived in the home about two years, and few people Eyewitness News spoke with in town knew them. Of those who did, one person described the couple, saying Gary Weaver was domineering and Erin Weaver was pleasant and quiet.

Augusta Police say they'd never before been called to the home on a domestic violence complaint.

The boy worked as a newspaper carrier for the Augusta Gazette. They describe him as a good kid. He's now with his biological father who lives outside Butler County.